Sunday, April 17, 2011

I'm back!

I must apologize.  I found out last year that blogging took more time than I thought it would.  I'm going to try again, though, so if you are still reading after such a long hiatus, thank you kindly for checking back!

My garden from last year ended up doing very well.  I got a huge harvest, and with help from some dear net-friends, learned how to do water-bath canning, too.  My HOA was displeased with my front gardening adventures, but they were nice enough to let me finish out the season.  This year, the front yard will be flowers and herbs as always, along with some greens.  The "big stuff" is moving to the backyard, and expanding quite a bit in scope.

Up until now I had thought it would be impossible to garden successfully in the back.  It's the south side of the house, but just too dark.  That has changed, though, due to the removal of some huge trees earlier this spring.  I'm not keen at all on tree killing, but these had to come out.  The biggest one was diseased and was dropping big, dangerous branches, and the other one was knocking down a privacy fence.

Since then, I've done several full days worth of work back there.  Cleared 11 lawn/leaf bags, 3 contractor bags, have brought in lumber, most of my new Mel's Mix materials (some left to go) and have the boxes planned, stained and pre-drilled.  The biggest wrench in the works has been the weather.  We are into the rainy season here and tough to get 2 clear, warm days in a row.

I am working on a strawberry pallet that I'm eager to share with you, and if it works out I am hoping to extend the idea to my new compost bins.

No comments: