Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My garden smells like an espresso!

It's sad that I'm so congested from all the pollen in the air right now, because my garden smells just like an espresso.  Yep, I scored at Starbuck's!


All I had to do was ask for used coffee grounds and they got the bag right away, good wishes for my garden, plus emptied all the machines currently in use and looked in back for more.  There's filters mixed in, but I picked around them.  I put a light scattering across the beds, plus a couple handfuls in the watering bucket to make a tea for other plants.  (Yes, I clogged the watering can head.  Easy enough to unclog, though!)  So now the soil has a black-brown glow to it and the smell is incredible.  I tried to keep it to a light scattering so as to avoid nitrogen burn.
 
More plants are up!

Taters....hard to see, but they are up.  Finally!


Kohlrabi.  (Lots of brassicas are up.  So are the carrots, I think, but I forgot to get a shot of those.)



Lettuce...

Indoor seedlings, getting their first (very brief) taste of sun.


Pea shoot!  And my attempt to protect it from hungry things... plus maybe some mini greenhouse help?


I was going to wait to post this until the grass was cut and general cleanup, but, here you go.
 

Here's a picture of blossoms on whatever-it-is in the perimeter bed.  The leaves are pulled back to show the tiny blooms. 



4 comments:

The Ungardener said...

That's so cool! I'll have to try it :D

You're so funny, I have tons of pictures from last year that look like yours, with tiny little shoots that you can barely see, but I saw tham plain as day!

We had a great time puttering around the garden and planting things, I hope you had a great Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Hi cute baby plants! I am so excited for you.

Unknown said...

It looks like you are getting there. Good luck and enjoy.

Megan said...

Thank you! I have tried to resist posting tons of photos of baby plants (trust me, I have more!) but I will try to do an update soon.