Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mulch Day

Happy May Day!

Eight bags of mulch down on the perimeter beds, two held in reserve.  Got another few compliments from the neighbors today as well, always a nice thing to hear.  I am still debating how to handle narrow strips of grass between the perimeter and the SFG's; I am tempted to rip out the grass there entirely.

Several more SFG squares are showing seed leaves -- radishes and some of the brassicas.  Tomorrow I want to start Round Two of planting -- carrots, rapini, pak choi, chard, and lettuce.  A one-week stagger may be too tight but I am anxious about the growing season.  I would rather get too much too soon than have an entire crop bolt on me later.  It's all about the learning curve, right? :)

Our cats are shedding, so I put down shed fur all around the lettuce square.  I read somewhere that it helps against slugs, no idea if that really works but I really don't want to lose my first crop.  I've picked one slug off the timbers already, and given a caterpillar an invitation to the neighbor's yard.  Next week I want to hit the Starbucks near my office.  Wish me luck on scoring used coffee grounds!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like you're having a busy time in the garden but getting little green sprout results. That's always good.
Keep up the good work.
quiltbea SFG member

Megan said...

Thank you very much :)