Friday, April 30, 2010

Signs of life

The seeds, both inside and out, are showing signs of life today!  Indoors (if I haven't messed up my seed-tracking) the basil and catnip are sprouting.  Apparently leaving the seed tray over the pilot light for my range is working well.  Outside, my first lettuce square has sprouted lots of little seed-leaves that weren't there this morning.  Hurray!!!  First plants from seeds in Virginia, ever!



I also consolidated my thyme into a single, new container, much nicer than the old two plastic ones, which will be banished to the backyard for catnip plantings.  Here is the new one.  There is plenty of room left for additional herbs or maybe strawberries.


I read an interesting post on the SFG forum tonight about homemade plant markers.  I couldn't make the photo show up properly there, but here's my idea:  Use old, dead hydrangea wood!  I used a permanent Sharpie, but no idea if it will last through sun and rain.  Worth a shot, though, if it works it's free!


Tomorrow is Mulch Day for the perimeter beds and the walk between the SFGs.  We've been using chunk cedar mulch for years, but the Orange Store doesn't seem to be offering it anymore... so we got shredded hardwood.  I hope it works out okay.

Hubby and I are also discussing irrigation.  I have stubbornly NOT watered, for years, and it's worked out fine for the most part, but now it's going to be important.  I am reluctant to saddle ourselves with a drip system.  They seem to be like pagers: Once you get one, then you have to fuss with it.  When I lived out west, I often used half-buried milk jug or 2-liter soda bottles with holes poked in the bottom for slow-drip watering, but given it's our front yard I'm not sure that would fly well, plus I'd need many many jugs to make it work.  So, the idea right now is some sort of sprinkler.  For the moment, I am watering with an old-fashioned watering can.  I fill it up whenever I am done, in hopes of warming the water and maybe let off some of the town water fluorine treatment.  That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.

2 comments:

Square Foot Garden Gal said...

I saw that same post on the SFG Forum, and have been racking my brain ever since to figure out something I could use that I have around the house. Using little twigs is brilliant! My backyard is surrounded by trees, so there is always an abdundant supply of twigs around. Good thinking!

Megan said...

Thanks! I liked the idea of cutting up plastic cartons, too... only problem is, we don't go through very many of those.