Friday, April 23, 2010

Sodding sod!

I am sick of sod.  Loose chunks of sod and moss are everywhere in my two beds.  Every time I think I've got the last one, sure enough there is another. I am pining for the beautiful tilting soil sifter my dad made years ago in Washington state. Not going to happen, but I can still wish for it.  (I should point out that if I were doing "true" SFG, I wouldn't be having all these sod issues.)

Hubby got some plastic edging material the other day to help finish off edges of the boxes, and I tried installing it tonight.  It is impossible to drive that stuff through sod, and sod was in my way everywhere I tried.  There was a thin strip of sod by the potato box, and a 4'x 1' foot strip along the walk on the other end where the rototiller couldn't get at it.  Took me a good three hours to tear all that out, and the debris filled two buckets for the compost bin.  Results:  Minus the sod, the gap at the potato box is too tall for the edging; it's going to need another timber to close it off.  At the other end against the walk, the edging looks nice but I wish it were a little taller.

I am concerned about the upslope edge of the upper box.  There is nothing to divide the amended soil from the upslope grass there.  I laid out edging there, and it looked funny.  Seems to want a timber, but the timber won't help with grass invasion either.  Both?? Have to think about that one some more.

I did get my buckets and now have 15 gallons of soil reserved to back-fill the potatoes. I covered it with plastic at the last moment because we are expecting rain the next few days.  I also got a strawberry jar.  Maybe they are called something else around here, because no one seems to know what that is!  What I call a strawberry jar is a fairly tall clay pot with holes formed in the sides to allow plants to peek out.  Depot did not have them and no one seemed to know what they were, but Southern States Co-op had a nice assortment.   (Ouch, expensive...but made in America!)   Got it soaked and filled with soil for planting tomorrow.

About an hour after the jar started its soak in a bucket, I noticed a little ant running frenetically around and around atop the rim, trapped there with water all around.  I let her go. (I am not a big fan of ants, but maybe this one will bring me some good luck?)

I had intended to take some pictures today, but it didn't happen.  I just kept on until full dark and then some.   I got two more positive comments about the garden from neighbors today (running score 3+, 0-) so I am happy about that.  I hurt all over, but maybe I will dream of strawberries tonight.

No comments: