Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Welcome!

Hello and welcome! I am new to this blog thing so please bear with me while I get the first few posts up of our progress to date. We are working on initial ground prep right now.

In the meantime, let me tell you little about the gardening method we are using. It's called Square Foot Gardening. I've never tried it before, but it makes the most out of a small space. Ours is very small -- two beds in the front yard of our townhouse. The one closer to the house is 9' x 3', and the other is 8' x 4'. That is 59 square feet if I did my math right. Doesn't sound like much, but in Square Foot Gardening you don't plant in rows. A different crop goes in each square foot, and after it is harvested you replant with something else. I'm not growing 59 crops, but quite a few (plant list coming soon) and I am just a little daunted by how much food will be coming in if even half of it grows!

No comments: